KarmaBites

Karma♥Bites’s Mercurial Reads

Eclectic, cross-genre mood reader (but of late, mostly erotica, romance & para/UF—including m/m & ménage).  At times, the realities of life & work tend to dictate how UNreal a world I choose for an escape.

Fair warning:  I may walk like a lady but I cuss like a salty sailor. ^.~

How to Howl at the Moon

Joey W. Hill

Strain
Amelia C. Gormley
Progress: 57 %

The 7th Woman (Nico Sirsky, Chief of Police)
Frédérique Molay

The Walking Sexy (More Than Men, #2) - Andrea Laurence (★★★½)... A sexy little gem of a PA/zombie tale

THE SHORT: Very well-written & smexy post-apocalyptic “snack” about two people who meet in the aftermath of a virus outbreak. Zombies may be involved but not to worry, the MCs themselves are not “meat puppets”. :) If you don’t mind a wee bit of blood and gore with your romance, then this novella is a yummy couple of bonbons (instead of the entire Jim Dandy).

THE LONG: I’m a fan of the PA/dystopia genre. Plus, I’ve seen all of the Night of the Living Dead movies. So I was thrilled to get the chance to read THE WALKING SEXY by NTM author, Andrea Laurence. And just as thrilled that I wasn’t disappointed. (Er, well… OK, maybe I wanted a little bit more of Grey and Daria ^ᴗ^)

Most of THE WALKING SEXY takes places over a period of a few days. When the story opens, the US is just entering its third year following a virus outbreak which quickly turned the eastern half into zombie-land. Traveling ahead of a large pack on the hunt for food, Grey runs into Daria, an HIV/AIDS virologist who is now trying to find a vaccine for the Anthropophagus virus. The sexual attraction is instantaneous (but hell, totally understandable given that both are physically hot and suffering from a long period of abstinence). More importantly, however, both Grey and Daria possess an inherent sense of duty, each doing what they can under the circumstances.

Despite the short length, Ms. Laurence did a great job of creating a fast-paced yet credible plot and intelligent, likeable MCs with their own distinct survival skills. I did have a tiny quibble with a certain plot point (and honestly, more sex would’ve been A-OK with me). But overall, I really enjoyed this intro to Ms. Laurence’s writing. And my inner nerd loved the science bits.

* Review copy provided by the author via the PNR NaUBA group Author/Reader Exchange