KarmaBites

Karma♥Bites’s Mercurial Reads

Eclectic, cross-genre mood reader (but of late, mostly erotica, romance & para/UF—including m/m & ménage).  At times, the realities of life & work tend to dictate how UNreal a world I choose for an escape.

Fair warning:  I may walk like a lady but I cuss like a salty sailor. ^.~

How to Howl at the Moon

Joey W. Hill

Strain
Amelia C. Gormley
Progress: 57 %

The 7th Woman (Nico Sirsky, Chief of Police)
Frédérique Molay

The Wonderland Alphabet: Alice's Adventures Through the ABCs and What She Found Ther - Lewis Carroll, Alethea Kontis, Janet K. Lee This was very difficult to rate. The artwork is wonderful and incorporating snippets from "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" was a brilliant concept. THE WONDERLAND ALPHABET would certainly be appreciated by a child who has a rudimentary grasp of the alphabet and is familiar with Alice's story. However, there is too much in this book which would be beyond a child just learning her ABCs (which is why I originally tried this).

Most letters were not distinctive enough (especially when neutral colors were used or competed with the other illustrations) to capture and stay in a young child's mind, reducing the learning value. Having only one example of the applicable letter on each page without any repeat seemed to undermine the lesson/focus of each letter (it tended to get lost in the rest of the text).

I also wondered about some of the word choices and text for certain letters. For example, bit of a bummer to note that Humpty Dumpty "awaited his death". And I thought "Knave" was not the best choice for the letter K; it was the wrong sound and too adult a word (plus, my child immediately focused on the pie in the knave's hand ^_^).

Lastly, the text in different font and location, while creative and fun, did not make for the smoothest reading (at least the first time) and would not be too functional for a slightly older child learning to read on her own.

* ARC provided by NetGalley on behalf of the publisher/the author, without any obligation to finish reading a title or write a review.