KarmaBites

Karma♥Bites’s Mercurial Reads

Eclectic, cross-genre mood reader (but of late, mostly erotica, romance & para/UF—including m/m & ménage).  At times, the realities of life & work tend to dictate how UNreal a world I choose for an escape.

Fair warning:  I may walk like a lady but I cuss like a salty sailor. ^.~

How to Howl at the Moon

Joey W. Hill

Strain
Amelia C. Gormley
Progress: 57 %

The 7th Woman (Nico Sirsky, Chief of Police)
Frédérique Molay

Zeus, Inc. - Robin Burks Creative storyline with an inventive twist which may appeal to YA readers wanting a dash of futuristic/sci-fi with a serving of Greek mythology.

Set in the not-too-distant future, ZEUS, INC. has an agreeable plot which moves at a satisfying pace. The world-building could have been more substantial but then again, the similarity to present times (with only certain things "teched up") enables the reader to focus more on the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Zeus, Inc.'s CEO, Joseph Brentwood.

However, this book wasn't for me. When I read a mystery or suspense novel, I want to run alongside the main character or even better, run to catch up. While reading this book, I sometimes had to wait for the character to catch up to me, slowing the book's pace.

I also couldn't warm up to the main character, Alex Grosjean. Part of the problem was reconciling the story's overall timeline with the given facts (e.g., 50 years after a critical event and Alex's 80-year-old mother). But estimating Alex to be 35-40 years old didn't seem right because at various points, she acted and reacted as if much younger, and oftentimes, her sarcasm was not witty but meaningless. The story is told in the first person so unfortunately, every "master of the obvious" moment fell squarely on the character. Several times, her thinking and subsequent behaviour were in direct conflict so to leave me confused for a moment, and some of her interactions with later characters just weren't credible.

Finally, the character of Pip felt flat and given his secret, a bit...dare I say, wimpy? We barely learn anything about him or why he did or felt as he did, so he seemed like an extraneous character instead of Alex's partner in resolving the deteriorating situation. (And perhaps that was deliberate on the author's part.)

ZEUS, INC. utilizes Greek mythology in an interesting manner so I enjoyed that part of the story. But the book—and therefore, the storytelling—would have greatly benefited from a thorough editing and proofing job. The errors in basic grammar/punctuation and word usage, together with repetitive statements and glaring malapropisms (e.g., a cop/investigator would "deduce", not "deduct"), continually detracted from my ability to simply read and lose myself in the story. (I also thought that the author could have utilized italics more effectively, especially in lieu of capitalized letters, but that is a stylistic point.)

Given all of this, I wasn't invested in any of the characters or the mystery so the build-up and the ultimate resolution were anti-climatic. However, the story does end in an intriguing way and sets up nicely for the next book.

Disclosure: Copy provided by the author for an objective review.