KarmaBites

Karma♥Bites’s Mercurial Reads

Eclectic, cross-genre mood reader (but of late, mostly erotica, romance & para/UF—including m/m & ménage).  At times, the realities of life & work tend to dictate how UNreal a world I choose for an escape.

Fair warning:  I may walk like a lady but I cuss like a salty sailor. ^.~

How to Howl at the Moon

Joey W. Hill

Strain
Amelia C. Gormley
Progress: 57 %

The 7th Woman (Nico Sirsky, Chief of Police)
Frédérique Molay

Wolf at the Door - Sofia Grey (★★★½)... Sweet & sexy PNR with LOL moments
From the moment Jake had shifted to human form, a very delectable shape indeed, she knew her life would never be the same. She felt connected to this man in a way she’d never known before. Every instinct urged her to take a chance. Every ounce of common sense told her to run.

THE SHORT: Well-written, sweet & sexy PNR with LOL moments. Recommended for PNR/shifter fans looking for a quick & easy read with some smokin’ (vanilla) sex and guaranteed HEA.

THE LONG: Having read [a:Sofia Grey|6906923|Sofia Grey|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1360103151p2/6906923.jpg]’s first book, the short and sweet [b:Come to Me|17288171|Come to Me|Sofia Grey|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1359276479s/17288171.jpg|23909195], I was excited to have the chance to read a slightly longer book by her.

At novella length, WOLF AT THE DOOR is a compact story about fated mates from two very different worlds. I personally would’ve liked a bit more world-building. Nonetheless, [a:Sofia Grey|6906923|Sofia Grey|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1360103151p2/6906923.jpg]’s precise writing creates a story with more than the usual depth for its length and her use of certain techniques enables the story to cover a lot more ground. Both MCs are highly likeable and I liked the mutual respect shown as they tried to find a workable compromise.

I particularly liked that while WOLF AT THE DOOR uses the fated mates trope (so there is instant lust), the romantic connection seems to develop more naturally, aided by Jake’s ability to enter Lillian’s dreams. In addition, there isn’t an easy and immediate resolution to the various “hurdles”; instead, the passage of time is cleverly used to establish the basis for a believable HEA.

* Review copy provided by the author via the PNR NaUBA group Author/Reader exchange